We used the book "On Becoming Babywise" with both kids. It worked amazingly with both kids. They both got settled into a routine super fast and sleeping through the night by 8 weeks. I love routines and still today we use a routine and I think it helps the kids have boundaries.
Well since that booked worked so well I decided to buy the 3rd book "On Becoming Preschool Wise". The 2nd one was Toddlerwise but Parker is a little past that one. I have read only 2 chapters so far. I read the first chapter then applied it the next day and then the same with the 2nd chapter. WOW! This book is really good and our children are really smart. Parker picked up on the first idea super fast and remembered it the next day when we forgot lol.
The first thing is morals/respect. Parker is very good with please, thank you, no ma'am/sir, yes ma'am/sir, asking before doing things, etc. One thing she really needs help on is patience and giving respect to people while they are speaking to others. She will say mommy mommy mommy mommy a million times until we answer her. The technique they teach is for the child to place their hand somewhere on mine or tanners or anyone's arm, leg, hip and that let's us know she has something to say after we are finished with our discussion. We as the adults, need to acknowledge her hand there by lightly squeezing it. We told her once and it worked like a charm!! All day Sunday and Monday. It's helped me being home with the kids this week too.
The 2nd technique is taking some choices away to show we are the parents and we make the decisions. This doesn't have to be on everything. It says and I believe that they should get choices on some things with either outcome being a good one. Parker has been very bad lately about saying what she wants for breakfast even if I'm fixing something else... And I get it for her. She will want chocolate milk and ill pour it in a cup but she will say she wants a different one and to spare a breakdown ill change the cups. This is just a couple examples but it goes on all day long. It suggested letting your child know what you are going to do. I told Parker this morning hat more choices during the day are going to be made by me. I started by just making her breakfast and a drink without asking her what she wanted. She asked for different things but when I said No she just kept on with what I gave her. No we will see how the rest of the day goes...
Whew this is just 2 chapters in...this mom and dad have some learning & adjusting to do :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment